God's precious gifts.

Posted by May on Thursday, June 16, 2011

There are going to be times where the road is gonna be difficult and there are times we are gonna feel lonely. Sometimes, we may even become discouraged to read our bible. I guess it is during such times that God will lend us a 'helping hand' by placing a friend alongside us.

One of God's most precious gifts that he has given to each one of us is to have friends, mentors and youth leaders who never fails to encourage and lovingly challenge us to keep the fire of Christ burning deep inside our hearts.

According to the Scripture, a friend is one who challenges you to become all that God has intended for you. Jonathan could have succeeded his father to become the next king of Israel. But, he loved his friend David and he encouraged him to follow God’s Will, even though it meant Jonathan could forfeit his own claim to the throne (1 Samuel 19:1-7).

The mark of biblical friends is that their friendship draws you closer to Christ. They “sharpen” and motivate you to do what is right. True friends tell you the truth and even risk hurting your feelings because they love you and have your best interests at heart. (Proverbs 27:6).

So, be receptive to the way God uses friends to help you become spiritually mature. Personally, I want to strive to be the kind of friend that helps others become more like Christ.

Thinking about it, I could never give my hand to the person whose heart is not in Christ. I know it seems like such a high standard but I am learning, with much rebuke and love, that it is supposed to be that way. We are meant to be loved with that height and that depth because we were all bought at such a high cost, that being the blood of the Son of God.

I used to allow the world to make me feel like I was silly, weird and crazy for not bending the rules a bit or compromising my standards but the love of Christ compels me to make a stand for myself and not apologize for who I am: the precious daughter of God.

I know so well what it is like to be without Christ, and though some people could do a pretty good job at pretending there is no ache in the soul without Him, I cannot.

Maybe, my thinking will change over time, but for now.. I don't think I want to spend the rest of my future building a life with someone who does not recognize that. I want to be with a sinner who also knows the beautiful amazing saving grace of a Savior. I want to strive to grow in love with an imperfect person who is slowly being transformed; who is a work in progress simply because God was given room in their life.

God is the only one capable of stilling the wars that wage deep in my heart. He is my source of peace, joy and great hope. I intend to be eternally grateful to him. Because no matter how jaded, cynical or broken we think we may be, I know that God sees us. And I know that He desires that we find Him, and through that, find the person who will shower us with the kind of love that can only come from its Creator; someone that inspires us to grow and change the world.

To me, as long as Jesus is one of your MANY options, he is NOT an option. As long as you can carry your burdens alone, you don’t need a burden bearer. As long as your situation brings you no grief, you will receive no comfort. And, as long as you have a choice to take him or leave him, you might as well leave him, because he won’t be taken halfheartedly.

I pray that you, whoever you are that is reading this blog, will get to know His amazing love, too, and be made complete in Him.